Pages

Wednesday, 8 January 2014

beauty is terror. whatever we call beautiful, we quiver before it

 

also please feel free to admire my new jumper
I have just started reading 'the secret history' by donna tartt and its already one of the best books I've read. Even though her books are based on real life something about the way she writes makes everything seem beautifully surreal and mysterious, as if describing something magical. It's about a group of students learning about classical history which is interesting for me because I am studying Latin and reading it has made me change my view completely on a subject which up until now gave me a serious headache, plus I get really excited when the characters mention stuff that I know about. My mum told me to read it and I see why, maybe I haven't read enough books but its like nothing I've read before and yeah I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Its kind of hefty and I'm only like a tenth of the way through but unlike a lot of long books the writing flows so well that its really quick to read. 
 
Somehow I have managed to encounter a lot of beautiful things in the last week. Sometimes beautiful stuff makes me feel mournful because it all seems so unattainable and distant but recently all the lovely stuff I've experiened has made me feel like life is good.
 
I cannot believe I have only just got round to buying this album and I have been listening to it near enough non stop for the past 3 days. Its really slick but still beautifully emontional and it switches from being sexy to wistful so effortlessly. Also this piece Rookie did about the Arctic Monkeys articulated my emotions about them better than I ever could and also they published the piece on Alex Turner's 28th birthday which made me so happy.
 
Also this zine (by Rookie's Arabelle) which beats any of the dull books about 'staying positive' at being super uplifting and motivational, and it frustrates me that it wasn't around last year when I really needed it.
 

10 comments:

  1. That book sounds really interesting. I've added it to my to-read list. I've been listening to AM quite a bit recently. It's a really good album. Arabelle's zine is amazing. I printed it out :D

    http://prettypassionsfinefashions.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I've got so many books to read, I'm not sure how I'm going to get through all of them :)

      Delete
  2. i've added that book to my ever-growing to-read list on goodreads :) it sounds really interesting. rn i'm reading franny and zooey by j.d. salinger which is good. i hope the beautiful things keep coming to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it definitely is worth reading. I read Catcher in the Rye and thought it was really interesting so I will try and read franny and zooey :)x

      Delete
  3. Ditto about the beautiful things this week; it sounds super cliche but "the little things" are so nice because they're attainable and seldom noticed. Also, another book for the list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's amazing how seeing something so small can make your day x

      Delete
  4. the book sounds interesting and i would love to read it. and p.s. that arctic monkey's album was really addciting!

    http://riotouslolita.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss it is so addictive I still can't stop listening to it x

      Delete
  5. AM is the best! I listened to it continuously on the plane for 10 hours and then 5 more... thanks for giving me the excuse to listen to it again!

    Also, on a less obsessive note, your jumper is rather lovely and so is the book I had read it a while back but still remember how captivated I was by the historical/ mythical elements to this novel.

    http://wastelandsofwisdom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, it is a truly beautiful book I love it x

      Delete